[thelist] open source development network

deboute benjamin deboute at nerdsoul.com
Tue Aug 22 05:02:05 CDT 2000

At 23:08 21/08/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Don't think of open source as 'free shit'. The true open source
>manifesto is *exactly* what we're about. Sharing, helping, and
>advocating what we do *without* thought of material gain.
>
>The term open source doesn't just apply to linux anymore. Its a way of
>thinking, in much the way that we all think and do here. A good example
>is the dmoz.org project. They aggregate content for the good of others.
>Thats what the open source philosohpy embodies when you get down to

ok.

methinks that we're (almost) all doing open source.

How many scripts under GPL have you used ?
How many of you [want to] release[d] some webapp crafted from your sweat and caffeine-ridden blood ?
Aren't tips open-source knowledge repartition ?
Aren't tutorials open-source lectures ?

There are 3 major OS out there. We [ win people ] are already ( by the force of the events  ) making [ ALMOST ] difference between mac people [ illustrator kiddies ] and normal people [ porn site surfers on IE6 ].
Now it's time to stop making noise [ noise Baaaaaaaad for medium ] and let info flow freely between scripters and sysadmins.

You can't imagine how good it is to be near real Trollz, real Badstard Operators From Hell, lost in their no-man's-land where the only living people they see are webdeveloppers that come to them to cripple their cherished servers.
It's important to understand [ and use ] Linux for php developpers [ for the others, it can't be bad ].
The power of command-lines, the power of filesystem commands, the power of libraries, we've got too much to understand to let it go unaware [ lib Image::Magick is coooool ].

I found that only knowing how linux works, its filesystem philosophy, the conf files, the compilation, is very interesting and changed my ways of thinking about computing and developpement.

Of course, there are lots of boasting kiddies in the n*x world, but we got some in the past, they gone away by themselves, and we were alway polite and gentle[wo]men.

I don't think one can deliberately spare himself from sysadministration, nor design, nor interaction sciences, nor backend, nor SQL, nor javascript, nor protocols.
Every science we can get, we must get, as our work is awfully on a tight rope, undefined and changing each day.

I want a vortal where i can be informed of the last release of a script i use, where i see which .deb are out, where i can read about the w3c, where i can get nerdy news.

deboute benjamin