[thelist] Domain Delegation from Joker

Luther, Ron RLuth at telxon.com
Tue Aug 22 07:09:19 CDT 2000

Hi George,

Actually, I'm not changing registrars .... I'm having the site hosted.

Last April, I "got the bug" and bought a couple domain names.  I bought them
through Joker since everyone here and at WebMonkey and at WDVL seemed to
think that they had one of the best deals around.

In May I bought a new home machine so that I could 'Monkey around' with web
development, decide what I wanted to do with the domains and look for a
host.  [That machine has been the "PC from Hell" and still isn't set up the
way I want it - dual boot Win98 and Mandrake 7.1 - with problems on BOTH
sides! - but that's another story!]

I'm also in the middle of looking for a new job - (Like I don't have enough
stress in my life!) .... And a week ago I got a call back from a recruiter
saying they couldn't access the examples of my web work that I put up in
"free space".

Well ..... Naturally .... I got p***ed off  ..... then I decided to pay for
hosting - that way at least I have someone to shout at if the site is down!
(There are no guarantees in Free Space!)

Once again - you folks came through - and it looks like webtrader.net.au has
an outstanding deal......  ASP, PHP, Cold Fusion, Perl and CGI ... all
available at an affordable price!

So now I'm trying to "move" the domain out of the parking lot, (re-delegate
the primary and secondary name servers), from Germany to Australia..... and
put up some content.

Maybe I panicked and called for help too early --- but I did not find the
re-delegation process at Joker to be very "intuitive" at all ... My personal
view is that they need some "accessibility" redesign to make (what I would
guess to be) frequently used functions ... easy and simple to operate.

I'm pretty sure it's just my unfamiliarity with the process ... and not any
kind of shortcoming with the folks at Joker ... I just figured that with so
many people (who know what they are doing) on this list ... someone here
would have been through this before and might have a yellow stickie next to
their monitor they could read off to guide me through the process.

I think I managed to stumble through the re-delegation yesterday ... I don't
see access to the domain today ... but I'm not worried ... yet .... It takes
what? ..... 2 or 3 days for a change like this to propagate? ... right?

Ron L