[thelist] Dreamweaver/Fireworks rumors?

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Tue Aug 22 19:28:52 CDT 2000

At 2:31 PM 8/22/0, Pete Dronzek wrote:
> Has anyone heard anything about when the next versions of
> Dreamweaver and Fireworks are planned?  I'd like to upgrade
> from version 2 of each, but I'd prefer not to be a victim
> of Macromedia's rather rapid product cycle if I can avoid it...

An engineering team usually takes a small break after release, and then
starts working on the next development cycle. The length of a development
cycle varies, usually between 12 and 24 months, although the web tools have
a more rapidly evolving set of needs and so tend to be on the faster side.

The 3.0 versions arrived at the very end of 1999, so it would be very
unusual to see a shorter-than-usual dev cycle.

The general buying advice is that you'll get your best deals at the very
end and very beginning of a product cycle... after an announcement you can
usually get a break on the old version and a comp on the new version. In
the middle of a product cycle you've got to look at it in a cost/benefit
way: will this make me more money than it costs me? How much does it need
to save me per week to make it a worthwhile investment?

jd