[thelist] Forwarding browser requests

Tony Grimes algrimes at acs.ucalgary.ca
Wed Aug 23 00:25:22 CDT 2000

     Is there a way for me to forward requests for a certain page from
one server to another? For example, I have an online newspaper hosted on
our university server, but the address isn't user-friendly, so we have our
own server in our office which hosts our frontpage so that we can have a
better address (gauntlet.ucalgary.ca). All links on the frontpage point
to the campus server.
     When we mention short-cut links in the print version of our paper, I
would like to use the shorter address to save on typing. For example:

<<gauntlet.ucalgary.ca/sports>> will point (from our office server) to the
sports section on the university server at
<<www.ucalgary.ca/~gauntlet/eg/sports>>

     Is there a way for our office server to forward this request directly
to the university server without the user noticing (i.e. I don't want to
use a client-side page reload with JavaScript)  We're using Appleshare
6.1 and the university uses Unix (AIX)? TIA

.tony