[thelist] Server software for the Mac

Jason Morehead jmorehead at alphalincoln.com
Wed Aug 23 09:27:46 CDT 2000

>      The more I use Appleshare IP, the more I realize that it sucks as
>web server software. Can anyone recommend a good alternative for the Mac
>(B&W G3/OS8.5)?
>      I'm specifically looking for scriptability (MacPerl is fine) and
>complete web-logging capabilities. I'm not looking for a powerhouse since
>it will only be hosting the front door of a site. A good price range would
>be under $250-$1000(US); maybe more if it absolutely kicks ass. TIA

we use webstar, which is pretty much the standard for web hosting on
the mac.  in fact, my last two employers have used webstar for web
serving.

	http://www.starnine.com/webstar/webstar.html

there are also many plug-ins available to extend webstar's capabilities.

or, you could always convert your mac into a linux box and run
apache... i have a feeling that would scream on a G3. ;)

jason
--
http://www.alphalincoln.com/
alphagraphics of nebraska - web services