[thelist] RE: HTML test (tip): The other side.

Erika Meyer erika at seastorm.com
Thu Aug 24 13:03:51 CDT 2000

>3) I've found that my most skillful, deliver-on-time-and-budget people are young eager people willing to be trained and subjugate their will to my vision.

This is probably one reason I'm a problem.  I'm really really old.  I'm over 30.  Yeah, I have thoughts and ideas.  But when it comes to skills, I'm more than willing to be trained.

There are a variety of reasons I'm not actively seeking independent freelance work right now, but ultimately, yeah, I'd rather be running the show than playing a bit part.

>I don't look for 'right answers', but for their ability to work it out.

I think this is a more realistic assessment of skills.  This would be a SUBJECTIVELY evaluated test as opposed to an OBJECTIVELY evaluated test.  IMO you can only adequately evaluate a subjective test if you yourself understand what is being tested.  For an objective test, a machine can score it.

I used to be a writing teacher.  Grammar tests could be objective.  But one's ability to write can not be tested objectively.  I think real work HTML is similar.

But then, testers should also consider allowing use of the spec, much as writers are expected to make use of a dictionary.

The real issue, with me, is whether having thoughts and ideas is an asset or a liability.  Or whether I, as a human being, am just going to be a poor substitute for a machine.

Erika