[thelist] cf vs asp

Adam Patrick apatrick at oracular.com
Fri Aug 25 09:23:52 CDT 2000

> Any hidden dis/advantages to either?  Server performance?  Hung processes?
> Not playing well with the database?

- With ASP you don't get a lot of built in functionality. For instance
in order to execute winzip (or any program) with ASP, I had to get a
3rd-party DLL.  CF has that built in.  There are a number of other
things like this that CF includes that ASP requires 3rd-party DLLs for
so the functionality of CF is beyond ASP in that sense.

- ASP requires more steps to do certain things.  For instance, execute a
query.  In ASP you have to open a connection, prepare the SQL, then
execute it, then close the connection. Whereas in CF, you just use
<cfquery> and the app. server does the details.

- (correct me if I'm wrong on this) We had to use ODBC to connect to
Oracle and SQLServer from ASP.  ODBC isn't a super efficient way of
connecting so that could be a disadvantage performance-wise.