[thelist] cf vs asp

Scott Dexter sgd at ti3.com
Fri Aug 25 10:42:45 CDT 2000

> - With ASP you don't get a lot of built in functionality. For instance
> so the functionality of CF is beyond ASP in that sense.

nnnnnnnope. Look at it the other way around. You can write your own dll to
do whatever you want, and call it from ASP. I know at this point CF must be
able to instantiate COM objects, but ASP functionality is *not* reduced
because ASP doesn't have things built in. Recall what Adrian said; ASP is
closer to the underlying OS, and while that may mean things aren't built in,
it also means a faster path for execution and the ability to get at whatever
you want....

> - ASP requires more steps to do certain things.  For
> instance, execute a
> query.  In ASP you have to open a connection, prepare the SQL, then
> execute it, then close the connection. Whereas in CF, you just use
> <cfquery> and the app. server does the details.

yes, the CF server does the details, but what if you want to tweak those
details? What do you mean by "prepare the SQL?" --you still have to write
the SQL query in each app, and a previous Friday Freebie showed how to toss
out the ADODB.Command object....

> - (correct me if I'm wrong on this) We had to use ODBC to connect to
> Oracle and SQLServer from ASP.  ODBC isn't a super efficient way of
> connecting so that could be a disadvantage performance-wise.

You can specify the OLE-DB provider to connect to the DB, and it is much
faster than ODBC.
example (all on one line):
"Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;User ID=IISUser;Initial
Catalog=Foo_db;Password=blahablah;Server=LocalServer"

(reading, but just watching)
sgd
--
http://thinksafely.org