[thelist] cf vs asp

Madhu Menon madhu at asiacontent.com
Fri Aug 25 11:12:05 CDT 2000

At 07:49 AM 8/25/00, you wrote:
>Pros and cons?  Have to pay extra for CF; ASP comes built-in to PWS/IIS -
>thus increasing the apps' resale value, yes?  CF is tag-based; ASP is
>script-based.  CF only really requires a good knowledge of HTML, whereas you
>need to know some VBScript to dive into ASP.  Which is easier to learn?

Hmmm... like Adrian said, you've got a slugfest here.

I haven't done much CF scripting, but I actually like the fact that the ASP
script pretty much stands out and doesn't look like HTML.

Let me tell ya' one thing. You can write good code and bad code in any
language. If you have a badly designed database for example, your CF code
ain't gonna save you. There are some good practices in programming that
hold true no matter what language/platform you use.

I use ASP 'cause it's free on NT and I've been programming for a while and
seen various types of Basic, from GW Basic to VB. :)
Also, SQL Server with ASP on NT is a good, well supported (and well
documented) combo. Lots of VB guys around, see.

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
Webmaster, India.CNET.com