[thelist] Re: Pics (was: Dress for Success)

Madhu Menon madhu at asiacontent.com
Sun Aug 27 13:50:45 CDT 2000

At 10:30 PM 8/27/00, you wrote:
>so where's your pic?

Aah. 'tis is a tragedy indeed, that for a guy who's been online since 1994,
I actually haven't found the time to put up a personal page yet. Every time
I try and take a vacation to do creative stuff like that, I find myself
changing jobs. Unfortunately, managing large web sites means sacrificing
your life, but I didn't want to get a job in a "web design company",
working with clueless clients who insisted on 410 K sized home pages,
animated buttons etc (e.g., http://www.lgindia.com/).

I don't consider myself very photogenic, what with my thyroid problem
making me overweight.

Oh well, I digress...

<tip type="keeping readers on your site" author="Madhu Menon">

You spend all that money on advertising your site, and your stats tell you
that the average user session goes across two pages only? What on earth?

If you have a content site, the "where do I go from here" factor is very
important. Once a person has finished reading an article, he/she looks
around for something else to click on. Make sure your site provides links
to related resources and/or articles from every page. For example, an
article on using Napster to its fullest could also link to a news story on
Napster.

Positioning of these links is vital. While many sites provide these
resources on the top right or on the side panels, experience has shown me
that the best place to put them is right after the article. This is where
the reader has finished reading, and this is where you want to catch
him/her. Some may scroll up and see, but not everyone will.

This is the virtual equivalent of grabbing someone by the hand and dragging
them along through your site (except not so rough). Do it and you will see
your page views go up.

</tip>

Regards,

Madhu