[thelist] Automatically generated PDF proof on the web

Warden, Matt mwarden at odyssey-design.com
Sun Aug 27 15:03:27 CDT 2000

> thanks for the quick response! I'm not sure what platform the server will
be
> running on, the company they are hosted with right now has unix and nt
> boxes.
>
> I guess I am trying to figure out how long it will take programmers who
know
> what they are doing to hack something like this out. (And if it could even
> be done.)

Yes, it can surely be done. In fact, as aardvark pointed out, it's probably
easier than you think. There are relatively few things that you need to keep
in mind (all of which you can find at the previously-given links). If you're
programmers know ASP, it will be quite simple. And I assume that other
languages probably wouldn't be much more difficult. Nail down the
environment (server os, server software, installed components, etc.), hand
those specs to your programmers, and ask them for a quote on time, etc. The
best that the people on this list can do is give you a general idea, since
we haven't generated on-the-fly PDFs in all environments and in all
languages (I've only done it using ASP). And other factors come into play,
such as are you developing this to be easily expandable in the future
(upload a logo to include in the brochure, upload custom fonts, add text
effects like backwards text (which you would probably have to generate an
image on-the-fly and include it in the on-the-fly PDF... because I don't
think PDF can do that)). Ya know, stuff like that.

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com