[thelist] Price help!

Oliver Lineham oliver at lineham.co.nz
Tue Aug 29 17:09:01 CDT 2000

At 21:27 29/08/00 +0100, you wrote:

>Does the fact that I'm 16 make a difference? I must also mention that I live
>in the UK.

Go for the job!  Do you have a good relationship with the owner of the
company? If so, this sounds like an excellent opportunity to get started in
this industry.

If you're friendly with the manager, and the whole project turns to
custard, you'll probably be able to call the whole thing off without any
fireworks. No stress, and all that.

The project sounds small - a static site that is perfect for you to (a)
test your skills, and (b) see if this job is for you.

The only thing to watch for is that this customer is a good apple, and
aren't trying to exploit you because you're young and inexperienced. I
never had any trouble, but I've seen messages on lists like this where the
customer didn't pay up, or started getting really picky about details and
asked for too much.

I was 16 or 17 when I started doing paid jobs. The job went well, they
recommended me to people, and now I've got more customers than I can handle
and am looking for people to share the load.  (Shhh! Don't tell, but I'm
only 19 still. ;)

IANAL, so don't take this as gospel but:  Being 16 you are (I think?) still
legally a minor.  That means contracts you sign aren't legally
enforeable.  It also means if you owe someone money, it can sorta be
extracted from your parents. You might want to talk to them first.

That said, I never started with contracts.  I still don't have explicit
contracts as such (I just get them to sign the "Proposal accepted" box on
the front of the project specification)

I'm not sure about British law but I'm in NZ so it shouldn't be too dissimilar.

Price - charge whatever you are comfortable with. I started cheap because I
was slow and inexperienced (note: age in itself is NOT a valid reason to
have low charges!).  Don't sell yourself short though - you are better off
giving a high quote, and if they turn you down offer to lower the price.

Good luck,

</ol>

     v i b e   m e d i a    http://www.vibe.co.nz/
  po box 10-492              wellington, new zealand
  phone +64 21 210-7845         oliver at lineham.co.nz