School District Issues (was Re: [thelist] design feedback)

David McCreath mccreath at ak.net
Wed Aug 30 17:59:03 CDT 2000

Hi, Pete --

(I'll go ahead and respond on-list, because at least part of your question
is on-topic. If this seems too far afield to enough people, let us know and
we'll happily go off-list.)

We're enforcing a 4.0+ browser rule for the intranet for security reasons.
We do have some people in the district that are still working on machines
that can't support the 4.0 browsers, but every facility has at least a
couple of machines that can run them, and their numbers are increasing. (We
have a lease contract with Apple that gets us a thousand new machines every
year or something.)

Externally, I assume the lowest common denominator, hence the way-low
graphic intensity and lightweight stylesheet. (We receive federal funding,
so we're adhering to the ADA.) The external site is spotty at this point in
terms of design because each shool has its own "webmaster", and while I have
been educating as fast as I can, some people just get carried away.

When you ask about usernames and ID's, are you  talking about for the
intranet or for the other users of the external server? Externally, I take
care of it and it's on a request basis. Anybody can have space on the server
if they ask. Internally, we have a networking section here in the IT
department that assigns usernames and passwords when they set up the
employee's email account.

What district do you work for?

Dave