[thelist] Flash help and a thanks

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 31 16:02:52 CDT 2000

> From: Warren <warren at warrenworld.com>
>
> First of all I would like to say thanks to Matt, Martin and Aardvark
> for helping me on SUNDAY with my auto-generated online pdf files
> questions. I got my bid in on  time...thanks.

glad we could help... it was either that or hang out with my friends...

> And now we move on....I have a client who wants a flash movie
> published online that will be the equivalent of a souped up PowerPoint
> presentation. There will be a narrative in the background with
> different text, photos, etc. appearing on screen during the narrative.
>  There is 14:30 minutes of narrative and then 7 minutes of
> trestimonials. This has been provided on disk as a wav file (216 megs
> worth) that I will need to downsample, etc.
>
> My question is...should I attempt to make this one movie, or should I
> break it up into smaller movies (this is what I'm thinking) that call
> each other at the end of the previous one. Of course the main issue is
> how long it takes for viewers to actually see something on screen.

wow, since you plan to have them view this over a connection of
some sort (not off the disk), then i would recommend reading up on
pre-loader movies, the MP3 compression, and everything you can
do make that work... having one movie start loading another while
it's playing will help things out a lot... but there will still be gaps
between movies...

i did a similar project once... 15 mins, background music, dozens
of narrations, mostly vector images... the higher quality version was
50MB... the ultra-low-res one was 10MB... cutting voices out got it
down to 3MB with the bg music...

there are some great Flash sites out there that can help, most of
which i can't get to right now (system trouble, and i can't risk
crashing Flash right now, which is what i'm doing, because of a
deadline)...