[thelist] Little problem I'm having...

Michael Galvin mpgalvin at eircom.net
Thu Aug 31 17:31:52 CDT 2000

One of my sites is now gone (or soon will go) thrice-weekly.  Every monday,
wednesday and friday, they're going to have a new article on their front
page (or at least a link to it).  They're not going with any sort of content
management system, so I rigged up a little JScript that works out the day of
the week, and then shows the corresponding HTML file.  So if it's Monday, it
shows monday.html.  On Tuesday, it shows monday.html.  Wednesday gets
wednesday.html.  Etc.  This means I only have to update once a week

My problem is that on Sunday, I'll be changing monday, wednesday and
friday.html files.  But also on Sunday, I would normally be showing
friday.html (last update).  So, when I upload the new friday.html, any
visitors will see EVERYTHING for next week.  Then, I created a sunday.html
file which just has "We're updating - come back tomorrow" on it.  I thought
this was a bit lame, so I was just wondering if there's any good people on
this list who know of a better way of handling all of this (short of
updating every coupla days or spending a large wad of cash on a CMS).

Ideas and thoughts will be gratefully accepted.

Michael