[thelist] HTML validators(off topic)

Kevin B. O'Brien ahuka at ahuka.com
Fri Sep 1 00:53:38 CDT 2000

At 11:05 AM 9/1/2000 +1200, Duncan O'Neill said something remarkably like
(but somehow subtly different from):
>Hey all,
>
>I've been experimenting with some HTML validators online,
>notably the w3c.org validator, and the WDG validator. These things
>seem to be giving me conflicting and/or questionable results, as well
>as neurosis and a head-ache, and I wondered;
>
>1) how much stock to place on them

They are a tool, and useful for catching things I might otherwise have missed.

>2) whether list members use them

Frequently.

>3) which validators you'd consider to be the most
>    reliable/authoritative/up-to-date

I tend to use W3C the most, but I am willing to be convinced.

>4) whether and when DTD declarations are really needed

How can you reliably validate without specifying which standard you are
supporting?

--
Kevin B. O'Brien                TANSTAAFL
ahuka at ahuka.com
Help fight SPAM. Join CAUCE. http://www.cauce.org/
"I understand if you play the Windows NT install CD backwards you hear
Satanic messages."
"You think that's bad? If you play it forwards it installs Windows NT."