[thelist] ASP-SQLServer: ADO vs. ODBC?

Chris Houston. chris at phosphors.net
Thu Sep 7 16:42:36 CDT 2000

Hello there...

This last weekend I did some work at an institution where the friendly IT
guy helped me set up some database connectivity to their web server. We
muddled around a bit with ODBC drivers, and eventually got the following
piece of code to work. He said he thought that this connection had been
opened without using the ODBC connection, that it was a pure ADO connection.
I notice that there's no mention of a DSN in the connection string.

Try as I might, I can't replicate the effects on my server. Is there
something I have to configure with SQL server?

<%

connstring =
"DRIVER={SQLServer};SERVER=192.168.1.100;UID=sa;PWD=password;LANGUAGE=us_eng
lish;DATABASE=Databasename"

set conn = server.createobject("ADODB.Connection")
conn.open connstring

%>

Chris Houston.

Creative Director