[thelist] More About Domains

Madhu Menon madhu at asiacontent.com
Tue Sep 19 02:08:04 CDT 2000

At 11:24 AM 9/19/2000, thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org penned the following
words:
>(Especially since NSI is hoarding expired domains they manage in order
>auction them off - the bastards.) If a registrar does not have a FAQ on

I vote for NSI as the dubious recepient of the "Clueless Net Company of the
Decade" award. They've certainly had enough screw-ups in their time. I
can't find a single person on any of the web design lists I'm on to say a
good word about 'em.

Anyone have any other ideas? (BT comes to mind).

<tip type="Generating breadcrumb navigation in ASP" author="Madhu Menon">

Jorah asked about a generic ASP function he could toss into a SSI file to
generate a breadcrumb nav bar. I put this together in about 5 minutes so
it's possibly not the most elegant code solution there is. Basically, this
function assumes that if your categorisation is "Home > Reviews > Books >
Computers", your directory structure is "/Reviews/Books/Computers".

<%

Sub GenBreadCrumb

'  I don't like messing with the double quote character. I prefer this
because it makes code easier to read (for me).

Const strQuote = """"

' Get the script name

strURL = Request.ServerVariables("SCRIPT_NAME")

' Split the different parts into an array based on a forward slash

arrCrumb = Split(strURL, "/")

' Generate the bread crumb trail baby!

strPath = "/"

' Write the "Home" Link

Response.Write "<a href=" & strQuote & "/" & strQuote & ">Home</a> &gt; "

' Loop through the array (except the last part of the URL, which is the
file name)

For Counter = 1 TO (UBound(arrCrumb)-1)

         ' Not for the faint of heart, the long line below actually
capitalises the first letter of the
         ' path. I would put *this* into a function as well if I were doing
this the right way.

         strTempCrumb = arrCrumb(counter)

         arrCrumb(counter) = UCase(Left(strTempCrumb,1)) &
Right(strTempCrumb,Len(strTempCrumb)-1)

         strPath = strPath & arrCrumb(counter) & "/"

         Response.Write "<a href=" & strQuote & strPath & strQuote & ">" &
arrCrumb(Counter) & "</a>" & " > "

Next

Response.Write "Article"

End Sub

%>

Call the GenBreadCrumb procedure on every page where you want to put a nav
trail and you're set.

</tip>

Madhu

Madhu Menon