[thelist] Do they know what they are doing?

Peter Small peter at genps.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 19 09:06:39 CDT 2000

Reading through some of the posts in this forum and others, I get the
distinct impression that the main people involved in authorising the work
that Web designers do are far from competent.

I'm aware that many small businesses haven't the faintest idea what the Web
is about and how it might benefit them. They simply pay somebody to create
a Web site so as to see what it might do for their business. How common is
this attitude? Do many of these experimental efforts succeed? Are there any
really savvy businesses who know how to make efficient use of the Web and
use Web designer's time effectively and efficiently?

There are many agencies and consultants who claim to know what they are
doing and engage the services of freelancers on their client's behalf. What
proportion of these are competent? Are there many whom freelancers have
much respect for as being capable of creating viable e-business solutions?

Is the same sort of situation prevalent with in-house design teams?

peter
www.petersmall.net