[thelist] perl vs php with mysql?

Steve Cook sck at biljettpoolen.se
Thu Sep 21 03:05:58 CDT 2000

This is a real opinion question, but to throw in my 2 öre as someone who has
developed with both perl and PHP, I would suggest going with the PHP option.

It actually depends a little on what you want to do, but PHP is simple to
pick up (especially if you have the Wrox book or another reference guide)
and shortens development time. Think for instance that all form responses
are automatically made into variables instead of having to include a script
just to handle form input!

On top of this, learning to handle more advanced techniques such as
databases is a doddle in PHP.

On the other hand, I still use perl for certain tasks. For instance, I just
wrote an archive program for my mailing list. It uses a perl script with
cron to sweep the text version of the archive every hour and add it to a
database, where I use a group of PHP scripts to make it web searchable. This
is a case of using the right tool for the right job. Perl is great for text
parsing and is a great server scripting language. PHP is designed from
scratch to make web development simple.

Good luck with whichever you choose.

.steve

you're interested!