[thelist] web application architecture, help

Eduardo Dominguez edmz at emonterrey.com
Fri Sep 22 09:58:22 CDT 2000

	I am trying to design an web application architecture for myself
and to decrease the time of development and support for it. I want to
find the best way to reuse my code and to have better organization.

	My language of choice is php.

	Does anyone have a routine or standard that they follow when
creating a web application ? Maybe someone has all their code divided
in directories and stored in a .zip file. When a new project comes, they
just decompress, modify some templates and start coding the specific
parts for this web app. Anyone does something like this ?

	Speaking of templates, since most, if not all, the projects i have
been involved, show a portion of the page that is the same across the whole
site, i always divide the fixed portions in a "header" and "footer"
functions
and call those and the top and bottom of every page. Any change in design,
affects the whole site. But now I wonder, is this the best way to go ? I
dont
want to miss another better technique :)

	I would be glad if someone can share some tips and techniques regarding
architecture of web applications. Little things (or big ones) that you guys
do to make your projects easier to support, easier to code, more organized
or
faster to develop. From directory organization, to using classes instead of
functions,
using xml for whatever good reason or using any other kind of template
scheme.

	Any help is greatyly appreciated.
	Thanks in advance!