[thelist] JavaScript trick

kev.skindrill kev.skindrill at bigfoot.com
Sat Sep 23 11:04:41 CDT 2000

Dear all
            I've just had one of those "lightbulb above the head" moments.
There was a tip a few weeks ago that gave a short piece over javascript that
would display the table layout of a web page (apologies for forgetting the
author's name). This tip received an ecstatic response so I saved it for a
rainy day because I didn't quite understand how to use it. However, I have
just seen something similar in one of my computer magazines which caused the
aforementioned lightbulb to light up over my head, so I thought I'd share it
with the List, along with how to make it work & the original code from the
first tip.

<tip>
If you ever have need to check when the last time a page was updated then
type the following code into the address bar of your browser (IE only, I
think)

javascript:alert(document.lastModified)

and then press Go/Enter.
To save this trick, open "Favourites" and put it into a suitable folder and
change the name to something you will recognize such as "Updated". Click
"OK" and then open Windows Explorer, look in Windows>Favourites and find the
folder you stored "Updated" in and right-click on it & click "Properties".
Under the tab for "Web Document" change the URL to the above javascript and
hit "OK". Now you should have a folder in "Favourites" that you can use when
you want to find out when a page was last updated.
For those of you who missed the last tip or, like me, didn't know how to get
it to work, here it is again

javascript:for(i=0;i<document.all.length;i++)if(document.all[i].tagName=='TA
BLE')void(document.all[i].border=(document.all[i].border=='0')?'1':'0');

Just follow the instructions above and you will be able to look at the table
layouts of web pages.
</tip>

kev.skindrill at bigfoot.com
www.skindrill.freeserve.co.uk