[thelist] SQL Query Tips?

rudy limeback r937 at interlog.com
Sat Sep 23 15:59:19 CDT 2000

> Can someone point me to a resource that has tips on making
> decisions between using subqueries and designing the database
> so they are unnecessary? Stuff like that?

hi erik

if the database is already thousands of times bigger, chances are you're
not gonna have a lot of say in how the tables are structured   ;o)

besides, subqueries are yummy, and with proper indexes defined, they should
just fly

you didn't say which database, so check out adam patrick's article, it's
written for oracle but there are plenty of ideas in it that carry over  to
other databases

  Use Oracle's Explain Plan to Tune Your Queries
  http://evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=2986

for general sql resources and tutorials, see

  SQL and Database Resources on the Web
  http://evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=1618

if you have any questions about your sql, toss them onto thelist, there are
several folks here real good at queries

rudy
r937.com