[thelist] more views: pop-up windows, Rich Media ads

Erika Meyer erika at seastorm.com
Thu Sep 28 08:40:42 CDT 2000

nk, you are right.  I think a little bit of media-whiz done
intelligently is okay, but it seems to be hard for people to stop.

I just noticed you said, 'ads.'  You mean banner ads?  I think they
all suck, and when I see a cheezy ad-ful site, I tend to click myself
out ASAP.

I haven't seen Java done well much... my favorite use of Java on the
web is the instant chat... there is one on dice.com... where you can
click a link & get an IM style window where a live person is waiting
at the other end, ready to solve all your problems...but the human is
the key factor here.

Javascript rollovers can help text links stand out...pop-up
windows... be careful!  Jakob Nielson (useit.com) and the W3C both
frown on them.

DHTML... aargh.  I just went to a software site using NN-only DHTML.
The only problem was, it crashed my browser (NN).  Shall I say I
didn't buy their product?

Here are some Flash Usability references off the top of my head:

dack.com -- flash vs. html: a usability test
http://www.dack.com/web/flashVhtml/
or
dack.com -- flash is evil
http://www.dack.com/web/flash_evil.html
(opposing views at the bottom...)

Flazoom -- Cancer called Flash
http://www.flazoom.com/news/cancer_06012000.shtml
Flazoom -- Flasher Stop Abusing your Visitors
http://www.flazoom.com/news/user_06202000.shtml
Flazoom -- Make Sure Usability Fitts Flash
http://www.flazoom.com/news/fitts_07102000.shtml

(there are Flash 'ads' on Flazoom)

Erika

erika at seastorm.com