[thelist] Translations

Jen Worden jen at meadoworks.com
Mon Oct 2 09:39:14 CDT 2000

Hi Richard ...

At 12:26 PM 10/2/00 +0100, Richard H. Morris wrote:
>Whilst we can probably get the physical translations done, does anyone have
>any experience and advice on how to get the translated material incorporated
>into a web site?
>
>The problems I perceive are with the Cyrillic and Japanese character sets -
>I'd hate to get a Word document, for instance, and then lose the characters
>in the copying process.

For What It's Worth :

When trying to target a specific market (Chinese in France - ya, pretty
specific! :) we went the simplest route, a reproduction of the English site
in both French and Chinese. The Chinese translations were sent as images,
manipulated for consistency then added to the site. Granted it's a small
target audience hence a small site, so implementation was pretty easy. The
link if interested :

	http://www.highlinerscallops.com/

cfn ...
Jen Worden - Web Developer