[thelist] London Underground font

James Spahr james at designframe.com
Tue Oct 3 10:17:36 CDT 2000

on 10/3/00 11:35 AM, Roger Newbrook at roger.newbrook at mari.co.uk wrote:

> does anyone perchance know what font is used for the london underground.
> think i read somewhere it was designed by eric gill (is it gill sans then i
> wonder?)but i'm not sure.
>
> thanks in anticipation

FROM
<http://www.msstate.edu/Fineart_Online/Backissues/Vol_12/faf_v12_n03/reviews
/under.html>

"Few know it's origins. In 1916 London Transport commissioned Edward
Johnston to create the "Underground Railway Block-Letter". Johnston created
a entire corporate identity for the tube, including typeface, logo and map.
It has survived many revolutions of style and still seems as fresh today as
it must have done over 70 years ago"

although the type is rather close to Gill Sans - and I'm almost certain Eric
Gill designed Gill Sans for his bibles.

James.