[thelist] pc/ mac and mac/ pc transfer?

Bret Daniel BDaniel at Chemnavigator.com
Tue Oct 3 10:24:48 CDT 2000

Hi Amanda,

I have had this problem many times in the past.  My final solution was to
turn the PC into an FTP server and use FETCH on the mac and transfer
everything via FTP.  If you send files from the mac as RAW and do not use
the MacBinary protocols, you should have very good luck... A lot of
applications provide dual platform support of their files without any
translation. (Photoshop is an excellent example).  In addition, I would
reccomend using the .3 (dot-3) extensions on your mac files (like .ppt,
.psd, .jpg, .tif)... this will help the pc figure out what filetypes they
are.

A very good FTP server that works on 95, 98 NT and 2000 is FTP-Serve-U
(http://ftpserv-u.deerfield.com/)
It is very easy to set up and has an easy GUI.  The real bonus of this FTP
server is that you can directly assign rights and home directories, where
some FTp servers are a bit more difficult.

This may be a bit more of a solution that you are looking for, but it is
pretty solid and very reliable.

Bret Daniel
web production engineer
http://www.chemnavigator.com