[thelist] Glaring Grammar (was: London Underground font)

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Tue Oct 3 10:51:04 CDT 2000

> <http://www.msstate.edu/Fineart_Online/Backissues/Vol_12/faf_v
12_n03/reviews/under.html>

> "Few know it's origins. In 1916 London Transport commissioned Edward
> Johnston to create the "Underground Railway Block-Letter". Johnston
created
> a entire corporate identity for the tube, including typeface, logo and
map.
> It has survived many revolutions of style and still seems as fresh today
as
> it must have done over 70 years ago"

	I know it's generally frowned upon to nitpick grammar on the
Internet, but is it being overly critical to note that this short paragraph
contains at least three glaring grammatical mistakes ("it's", "a entire...",
and "as it must have done" -- there are a few more if you want to be
especially picky). And from a "fine arts" publication of Mississippi State
University? Is it just me??

<tip type="accessibility">
	The W3C recently released revised guidelines for including
accessibility features in web content. Formerly a single document, the
techniques are now presented as four documents:
* An overview (http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/NOTE-WCAG10-TECHS-20000920/)
* Core Techniques (http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-CORE-TECHS/)
* HTML Techniques (http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/)
* CSS Techniques (http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-CSS-TECHS/)
	This division will allow each of the focus areas to evolve
independently, and also may make it easier for developers to locate the
answer to a question more readily. Check 'em out!
</tip>

James Aylard