[thelist] BUG: Broken Value Attribute for BUTTON Element in I E5+

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Tue Oct 3 17:25:28 CDT 2000

Jeff,

> why not just make it the workaround completely solid and refer to the
item's
> value when setting the expando?

	That's part of the problem, unfortunately. Both IE 5 and IE 5.5 will
report the button element's innerHTML value when you try to access the value
using buttonObject.value. It is not only a form-submission problem, but a
scripting problem, as well.
	One drawback that I now see to my solution: when you update the
<button>'s "value" attribute value, it also resets the button's innerHTML to
that new value. This isn't really a problem if you use the <button> to
perform an action that immediately replaces the current page; otherwise,
however, it may create an undesirable result.
	Bottom line: the <button> element in IE 5/IE 5.5 is so broken that
in many situations it will be of little practical use, which is a shame. It
has some fantastic potential.

James Aylard