[thelist] rating techies ability

Nick Koleszar koleszar at netcomuk.co.uk
Tue Oct 3 18:45:34 CDT 2000

It occurred to me that we can probably get a reasonable idea of an
individual's ultimate ability to produce and maintain online "entities"
(combination of client- and server-side code/applications and new/old
economy business sense) by knowing what tools/resources they use or can
atleast demonstrate an understanding of.

I nominate the following as being positive indicators (in no particular
order):

web:
theregister.co.uk
fuckedcompany.com
theonion.com
fastcompany.com
ntk.net
cnet.com
irt.org
localhost
thestandard.com
w3.org
google.com
php4.org
davecentral.com
zdnet.com
internet.com

books:
anything O'Reilly (anyone who has the complete library in their bathroom
probably has a big bathroom and is kewl)
most Danny Goodman stuff
almost any Linux book
Ben Forta

software:
notepad (but of course)
Homesite
vi
Linkbot
TopStyle
CSE Validator Pro
Linx

other:
eVolt mailing list
ntk mailing list
windows command shell
ping
traceroute
fake http headers in telnet session
command line ftp
SQL

anyone who has a dusty old copy of their own printout of HTML 1.0 spec!

Any other ideas?