[thelist] notebook pc reviews?

Nick Koleszar npk at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 4 08:09:47 CDT 2000

I am looking for the smallest, lightest notebook PC I can get away with. My
requirements will be:
Run Windows and, perhaps, Linux.
light and small but durable (I am generally very careful with kit but I want
something less flimsy than typical Tosh/Dell)
Keyboard not so compromised that really cannot use it regularly or for
extended periods. I prefer to sue the mouse as little as possible.

The apps I run are generally things like Homesite, Linkbot, Outlook, Office,
Apache, Perl, PHP4 (these for sudden need for local web development) and
very light Photoshop work.
I expect to need 400MHz + and 128MB RAM.

Can anyone give me real-world reviews of kit they have used? I am not
looking to save a couple of hundred bucks if I can get something vastly
better by spending a bit more.

Any experience of the Sony Vaio PCG-C1XS (Picturebook)? Is the screen too
small?

TIA to all!

nk