[thelist] color blindness|usability, accessibility, preferences?

AtdtXav atdtxav at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 6 15:14:43 CDT 2000

> a) I have to say that I'm truly impressed, having >somewhat
"returned" to evolt after a long time of inactivity- >having
only occasional lurked or glanced over subjects that >caught my
eye - I'm impressed with the lack of flame-type >rhetoric
happening here - I think that's a goal we can say we've
>achieved at least to some extent from the days of monkey..

I agree, although I believe when I stopped reading messages
around may, we had just finished with this topic.  It's an
important one, so it'll come up often methinks.

> This way, the designers can be happy that they've done their
> job creating the best possible brand for the site, the core
> target users will be happy because they have some level of
> control over what they see and the users who are used to being

> left out by the excesses of designers will be happy that
> they can get the information they need from the site.
> ----
is: Regardless of how we'd like to believe that we all *like*
choices and that our users want this, we are happiest when our
products/providers simply *know* what we want and give it
> to us without us having to ask or look for it.

I disagree.  I will usually go to the flash site unless I'm
really impatient, or I've been there and the flash sucks.  This
is a matter of momentary taste or of time, and I don't think a
site can plan for that.  Of course maybe that points to a flaw
in flash.....

> Not to say that an out of the way "text version" link isn't
> nice to have.. or that a "printer friendly version" button
> shouldn't be included for data-intensive stuff (from papers to
> invoices and more) but I for one cannot stand when someone
> gives me three choices (having typically only seen their logo
> so far).  They usually go something like this:
>
> Text version | Flash | HTML
>
> I always have this "UGH!  How am **I** supposed to know which
> version is "best"/is going to best address my needs, impress
> me, make me want to read YOUR site, know about YOUR productor
> discovery or what have you" reaction -
> ya know?

Ok, my main problem with this is that in your hypothesis it's on
the logo page.  I'm not cool with splash pages for sites that
have anything to do with sales/information.  I want my data and
I want it NOW!  This isn't a disagreement with you, just my
focus is different here.

> Furthermore or I guess, alongside that is the issue that
> though we (again) *say* we want choice.. studying the history
>of consumer buying and its relation to the world of advertising
>(again, this talking about things from a commercial
>perspective - though I think colleges would do well to format
>some of those papers and bibliographies a little sweeter as
>well:) will show you time and time again, we want it spoonfed
>and when you spoonfeed it to them.. they buy it.

I am definately frustrated and annoyed by advertising that
assumes I am stupid.  It actually pisses me off when companies
assume that I can't make my own decisions intelligently so they
have to make them for me.  Admittedly it has nothing to do with
this precise situation, but the sites/ads that impress me most
are the ones that assume I'm smart, and assume I won't fall for
the usual advertising shtick.

I understand that just like we often do, advertisers have to
cater to...well... the Majority which is, often, pretty darn
dumb.  ;)  There isn't much they can do to avoid it.

But it still ticks me off when I watch an ad or come to a site
that assumes I have no desire to think for myself.
THIS IS NOT TV.

Heh.  There, done. ;)
Scott

usability, to me, means there's a fine line between giving
people choices and giving them too many.  The site with 60 links
on the front page can be overwhelming, but I don't need to be
led through a linear version of exactly how the designer wanted
me to view their website.  That's missing the whole point.

(did this make sense at all? *shakes head*)