[thelist] Flash 5 installation hell

ken mcewan km at iloop.co.uk
Sun Oct 8 08:56:41 CDT 2000

Hi,

<snip>
>>has anyone here dealt with deploying flash 5 content? We have site we're
>>deploying soon that makes use of 5's new scripting architecture, and we're
>>trying to make the upgrade as painless as possible for our users. Using
>>the Flash 5 deployment kit, including personal advice from its author,
>>we're still running into massive difficulties get installation to work on
>>PC's - with netscape we've had to restart windows, and ran into issues
>>with the browser not recognizing the plugin, and IE users have experienced
>>a range of problems from system crashes to interrupted downloads. Can
>>anyone offer any advice on the subject? Our mac tests have gone smoothly.

<snip>

I was having similar problems but never really came up with a workaround.
Unless the site is 100% dependant on Flash I tend to try and detect FLASH
and
if not default to HTML, BTW:- my Flash content is not usually critical.
Best detection method:- Set-up a default page refresh, based on a variable
(large value), then from the FLash movie send out FSCommand to change the
variable. Test for variable change and if not window.location.replace to
HTML.
This keeps the movie playing if got FLASH with not page flashes etc. Need to
enable JAVA in netscape and Javascript for all. Usually put a <noscript> tag
on the HTML page saying for FLASH go here in case Flash is installed with
Java etc off. Seems to prvide the easiest path for the majority of
users.....

<tip reason="keeping your sanity">
When using auto FTP update in WYSIWG editors make sure your servers date is
correct or you might just overwrite the files you spend all day updating
!!tip />