[thelist] Illustrator 9 vs. Flash [was: Macromedia vs. Adobe]

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Mon Oct 9 08:46:23 CDT 2000

>There's an article in this month's (Nov. 2000) Web Techniques about
Illustrator vs. Freehand. I thought it was really interesting. I've always

Yeah, every similar article I've read has made me think the same
thing, yet I stick with Illustrator  ... the fact that Illustrator 9
supports transparency is a big vote to just upgrade to Ill 9 ... but
questions:

In Ill 8, the "Transform" pallet  uses the center point of the
bounding box as the X and Y coordinates ... this is way frustrating
for me, not only because I'm so average and typical that I think of
upper left hand corners as 0,0, but also because Info pallet tells
you the X and Y of the object ARE the upper left hand corner ... Can
you change this in Ill 9 - make it use the NW corner? Can you elicit
a big groan from me and tell me how to do it in Ill 8?

Does Ill 9 export as SWFs better than 8 with the plug-in ... like
does it retain thing you do to type without breaking it up into
characters ... does Freehand? How about pasting from Flash to
Illustrator 9 ... does it come through as paths or pictures? How
about Freehand? Transparency between the Ill and Flash? Someone give
us the low down if you can.

Dunno, maybe Flash 5 will render both incidental for me ... sure does
look pretty though ... enough beauty to fill up three or four
monitors ... let's see some more tabbed windows, ha.

PS. Someone asked John Macromedia to use the word "Monopoly", which I
don't think he did, so I will: I am all for MM having a monopoly on
web vector graphics ... I loathe the day when it will become
necessary to think about making SWFs work everywhere ...

--

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 827 3963