[thelist] isp dns caches not updating

Liz Lawson lizlawson at charitycards.co.uk
Mon Oct 9 10:23:05 CDT 2000

Hi

Recently we switched our hosting providers, which meant that we were no
longer at our old IP number.

The previous site is still on the old server, and we still have ftp access
to it. After almost three weeks, we are still getting hits in the log files.

I know that it can take a few days for an IP change to trickle through, but
three weeks seems a bit extreme. Do ISPs really update their DNS caches so
infrequently, or am I overlooking another problem?

The domains in the logs include (but are limited to)

tnt-3-113.easynet.co.uk
host62-7-99-89.btinternet.com
cache-ra05.proxy.aol.com

We have another domain name (hosted at a third party) which just points to
the same space and certainly accounts for a few of these rogue hits, but we
never got more than one or two a week through there in the past and we have
far more mystery hits than that.

(If the old host had logged referrer info, we'd know for sure, but that's
the sort of thing which has lead us to leave them...)

Has anyone experienced such a long lag, or have any other thoughts?

Liz Lawson
Web Designer, The Greetings Card Company Limited
www.charitycards.co.uk