[thelist] Illustrator 9 vs. Flash [was: Macromedia vs. Adobe]

Mike Migurski mike at cloudfactory.org
Mon Oct 9 14:01:58 CDT 2000

>PS. Someone asked John Macromedia to use the word "Monopoly", which I
>don't think he did, so I will: I am all for MM having a monopoly on
>web vector graphics ... I loathe the day when it will become
>necessary to think about making SWFs work everywhere ...

yow, that's scary - I loathe the day when MM will be able to dictate the
state of web vector graphics for all users. Not to say that they've done a
poor job (I'm a big fan of flash5, now that actionscript is beginning to
approach some semblance of a usable language), but control of a monopoly
isn't exactly conducive to innovation and efficiency, as evidenced by
windows bloat.

Anyone know the current state of the SWF format? I know that it was opened
a while back, but I heard rumors that macromedia made it proprietary
again.

-mike.

                   michal migurski     mike at cloudfactory.org
                  tel:415.876.0939     AIM:migurski