[thelist] Critque request: www.compulink-software.com

AtdtXav atdtxav at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 11 00:49:57 CDT 2000

>   Symbols have a time and a place, but this is not it.
> Symbols, for example, work on roadways because they are part
> of a pervasive, established system. I don't have to read the
> word "stop" on a stop sign because the red octagon already
> conveys meaning. Why? Because when I travel from region to
> region (at least in the U.S.) these symbols are used
> consistently.

Hey, they even use it in quebec.  Much as one may be surprised
at the kind of symbols that change from region to region, you
may be equally surprised at those that remain the same.

Then again I think we as americans only have one major export
and that's our culture ;)~  We're an infection, might as well
take pride in it.

>   Symbols on web sites are tricky because most of the time
> there is no consistency. Per Jakob's rule, "users spend most
of their time on other web sites." e.g., are you so important to
your user's world that they will learn your symbol
identification system? Here's a quick look at some of the photo
> buttons on your site, and what I think of when I see them.

My thoughts - Symbols are tricky unless one uses commonly
understood symbols.  Most of the most understood symbols though
have no relation to our usual website.  More important than that
though, using BOTH symbolism and text can be effective.  Some
would say that if you can use text at all you should just do
that and stay away from icons, but A) some people are not making
purely informative websites and B) a visual backup can be
helpful because even text links can be confusing, and they are
sometimes noticed before the text is.
(The B item is a theory, I have no backup other than personal
experience)

>  1. CD: Music (not "downloads")

I agree

>  2. Hands shaking: friendship, greetings, or race relations
> (not "about us.")

In a business format, I can see this as "meeting someone new"
which could be about us.

>  3. Calculator: mathematical computations or an analysis of a
> complex situation (not "resources")

Totally agree.

>  4. Computer Monitor: Umm, a computer monitor. (Not
> "products," unless your product is a computer monitor).

I agree again.

>  5. Doctor looking at a woman's ear (or eye, I cannot tell):
> medical information (not "FAQ")

*chuckles*  Then again, what kind of icon really falls with FAQ
except perhaps a questionmark?

>   Also, go with a fluid layout so I don't have to widen my
> browser to view the site. Us higher-rez folks usually browse
at less-than-full screen. We may be at  an 832 pixel width, or
725, or 598 or whatever width we happen to prefer for
> readability.

This was actually the first thing I noticed about the site.
non-fluid sites are alright some of the time, but they tend to
get annoying after awhile, and this one was not pulled off well
(good thing the guy who asked about it didn't make it *grin*) .
The fade is for lack of a better word, icky, and the subpages
have a sharp delineation between the page and the whitespace.

=====
Xavier
 - Scott
   -- http://spork.ofdoom.com