[thelist] Apache Configuration Problem.

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Sat Oct 14 13:41:33 CDT 2000

Hi,

I'm having problems trying to set up a Virtual Host in Apache (1.3).
It's not so much the virtual host itself, but the fact that it won't
let me run any cgi scripts. (This is on a Redhat 7 box BTW)

I'm trying to set up a duplicate server to the one that the site will
eventually be hosted on, so I can get to work developing.

I've got the following directives in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf for
the Default server (I've stripped out a lot of cruft, but these are
the important ones right?):

	DocumentRoot "/var/www/html"

	<Directory />
	Options FollowSymLinks
	AllowOverride None
	</Directory>

	<Directory "/var/www/html">
	Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks Includes Indexes
	Order allow,deny
	Allow from all
	</Directory>

	ScriptAlias cgi-bin /var/www/cgi-bin
	AddHandler cgi-script .cgi

And then I have the following VirtualHost:

	<VirtualHost 10.0.0.2>
	DocumentRoot /var/www/customer1
	ServerName customer1.home
	Options ExecCGI Includes
	ScriptAlias cgi cgi-bin
	</VirtualHost>

In /var/www/customer1 is an index.html file. Then there is a perl
script in /var/www/customer1/cgi-bin called environment.cgi.
Index.html has a link to cgi/environment.cgi.

If I go to http://customer1/ then the index page gets served fine,
but if I click on the link for environment.cgi the server returns a
403.

At first I thought it might have been a user permission problem. All
the files under /var/www are user|group root, but the server is
running as user|group apache. The files are all chmod 755 though, so
that shouldn't be the problem should it?

I've been wracking my brains over this for a day now, and I still
can't work out whats wrong. I thought I understood the basics of how
Apache worked. Not any more.

I'm sure it's something obvious and I'm sure that it's been covered
on the list before. Apologies for the rehash, but I can't get to the
archives at the minute, timeout between here and some router in
Milwaukee it looks like.

I've had a look at the Apache Documentation, the stuff on
Redhat.com's support pages but no luck. ExecCGI is switched on, the
files are 755.....Help?

G.