[thelist] I can't believe what I just read....

Seb Barre sebastien at oven.com
Wed Oct 18 16:32:33 CDT 2000

At 02:09 PM 10/18/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>http://www.rtware.net/weblink.html
>
>You tell me if this is safe as I think it isn't. Dear gwad people - are
>they kidding me???

Looks safe enough to me.  They imply that it should be done from a secure
connection, and the form submit goes to a secure page as well.  If you have
concerns with RTWare themselves, then that's another issue.  In any kind of
transaction environment you have to be prepared to trust the 3rd parties
you do business with.  Otherwise you have to spend the money to set it up
yourself and do it end-to-end on your own servers, which isn't feasible for
alot of smaller shops...

Not that I wouldn't look into the company a bit more before setting up a
business relationship with them.  I would definitely ask for customer
references, maybe do some searches on the Better Business Bureau website
(or equivalent services), find out how long they've been in business and so
on..

If you're concerned about the fact that someone can reproduce your forms on
their page by snagging your vendor id and details from the HTML, then all
they can really do is put money in your account, which doesn't make much
sense, unless they just want to cause you grief.  But I wouldn't be
surprised if part of the customer account at RTWare includes a list of
known servers from where transaction requests will be coming from.  But
that would go into the extra digging I would do before settling on them. =)

--- -- -
Seb Barre - sebastien at oven.com
OVEN Digital Toronto
Work: 416-595-9750 x 222