[Fwd: [thelist] ftp and vss]

Chris George chrisgeorge at home.com
Thu Oct 19 23:07:27 CDT 2000

Hi... this is the first I've seen of this thread, but thought I'd be able to
offer my 2 cents...

We use CVS as our version control package.  It's quite capable, runs on Mac,
PC, Linux (and probably others).  CVS was chosen around 4 years ago by the
Java programmers, and has proved to be quite capable with Dreamweaver,
Homesite and BBedit, our "Big Three".

Our method is the same as described below.  Our staging server is where all
the development gets done.  We 'check in' to that server, and when it's
ready to go live, we 'check out' to the www server (handled by one person).
It works very, very well, and forces us to come up for air before it goes
live.

And yes, the FTP was completely locked out.  It takes a little getting used
to, but boy/girl what a difference.

Anyway, hope it might help a little.

--Chris