[thelist] FTP Security

Harlow Pinson hpinson at indepthl.com
Sat Oct 21 18:09:16 CDT 2000

This question came up regarding web server FTP security.

When establishing an FTP connection, it appears that the
username and password are sent as clear-text. Apparently, this
clear-text can be snooped without too much difficulty.

The developer tools that we use are Dreamweaver and HomeSite,
which establish a connection to the web-server via FTP, as do
most other common design tools like FrontPage and Golive.
Seems like quite a security hole.

Am I misunderstanding this?  Are using such design tools like
Dreamweaver a significant risk to site security?  Any ideas about
dealing with this?

Thanks,

Harlow Pinson
Indepth Learning