[thelist] Mac to IIS: FTP hell

Erika Meyer erika at seastorm.com
Sun Oct 22 12:33:49 CDT 2000

Scott, I believe you on this one (having watched the threads on this
a couple of weeks ago).

I have not really been clear about what I've been doing until now.
All I've been doing is downloading the site.  Trying to download from
WebSTAR to another computer in the middle.  I've been downloading to
a Mac because at this point, that's all I have.

It is conceivable (but from the sounds of this, will not be much
easier) to transfer directly to IIS.  However, the current method
(downloading to an interim machine) allows me to become pretty
familiar with this site I had no hand in creating, and if there is
any hope for maintenance, it is a site I need to understand
intimately.  (almost all pages look the same, but all static and full
of time-dated material.  BLAH!) It is also because there are plenty
of "garbage" files in the current site... old files that are doing
nothing but taking up space.  If nothing else, I'm learning a lot
about the site, since I can't download more than one directory at
once.

It is not the speed of my connection.  I've tried on a fast and on a
slow connection.  It has nothing to do with IIS (yet).  All I'm doing
at this point is downloading.  But it sounds like, in fact, there is
not likely to be a better way, because the problem is the old server.

Really, the IT department should be helping me on this, but when I
ask them to do really basic stuff with the new server, they don't
know how.  And they don't have time to learn.  IIS was a choice made
by a third party hired by the PR department long before I came along.

I'm game to learn new things, but there is only so much one can learn
when the masses are clamoring for the entire site to be moved,
revised, updated.

BTW I walked into this position after it had been vacant for a year.
A few other people had been offered this job before me, but they all
wanted too much money.  heh.

oh well. Thanks for the heads up, Scott.

aardvark, there's a program called zippit for Mac.  I've not had a
lot of luck with the compression end on my home machine (causes me to
crash)... but who knows.

I'm honestly a bit afraid to mess with the Mac server more than I
have to, as it already is prone to crashing, scripts suddenly not
working, etc.  Not to mention I and no one on campus knows anything
about the machine or the programs it runs.

wow.  this was long.

Erika
erika at seastorm.com