[thelist] IIS Directory Structure

Madhu Menon madhu at asiacontent.com
Tue Oct 24 12:30:24 CDT 2000

At 07:16 PM 10/24/2000, thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org penned the following
words:
> From there your include will look like "/Include/global.css" instead of
>"../Include/global.css"

Scott,

I must be missing something, 'cause I just can't understand why people use
parent paths (i.e., "../") in references. Wouldn't it be simply more
reliable to just include a full relative path instead? (like
"/include/header.inc")

A parent path would work only one level deep into the site directory
structure.
A full path makes things so much more portable and flexible. It'll work on
*any* page on the site...

FWIW, I disable parent paths in IIS on my Win2K servers as a security measure.

Madhu

Madhu Menon
Webmaster, India.CNET.com
http://India.CNET.com
The source for computers and technology
ARTICLE OF THE DAY: Simpleware v/s Hypeware: Why it's not time to kill Perl yet
Read it now at: http://India.CNET.com/FirstPerson/Sesame/20001024/