[thelist] Narrowband is hotter (was: Death of Websafe)

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Tue Oct 24 19:15:27 CDT 2000

At 3:52 AM 10/24/0, Erika Meyer wrote:
>> (Subtext: Designing for limited color range will remain a useful skill...
>> broadband is increasing, but narrowband is increasing far more quickly.)
>
> This is the first I've heard of this (narrowband increasing far more
> quickly).  Can you elaborate? Point to stats?

What Adam said. ;-)  I've seen stats, but I'm not sure where to find them
right now, sorry.

Broadband access is definitely increasing... we're seeing far more cable,
DSL and other connections to deskbound computers in homes.

But overall net access is still continuing to increase... most humans don't
have net access yet, and they'll likely have satellite or other links
before getting hard cable.

And there's also the relative *explosion* in portable connectivity, which
we're only just starting to see with celphones and email pagers and PDAs...
here it is, the year 2000, and if you get a flat tire your car can't yet
call for help!? ;-)

For citations, I think Jupiter may have been one of the sources... I've got
this link but haven't set up a free account to view their whitepaper "The
Evolution of Access: Broadband and Wireless":
http://www.jup.com/jupiter/research/service2.jps?service=bws

Sorry, I had a good link for these stats at one point, but don't have it
now... I'll keep it on my radar for bookmarking, sorry.

jd