[thelist] CSS and Netscape

Erika Meyer erika at seastorm.com
Wed Oct 25 18:42:57 CDT 2000

The page renders for me, but when in doubt, validate.
Upon validation, your CSS looks pretty fine.

The HTML is another story :
<wrap>
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Ftheforce.net%2Fsnowboar
ds%2Fhalloween2000%2Ftest1.html
</wrap>

The validator claims many, many tags are closed improperly, including
multiple <a> and <table> tags.  I don't know about you, but this
raises big red flags for me.

Maybe you can't change the HTML.  Well, then, perhaps the serenity
prayer is in order.  Or you show the CSS validation results:
<wrap>
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%2Ftheforce
.net%2Fsnowboards%2Fhalloween2000%2Ftest1.html&warning=no
</wrap>

to the powers that be (yourself or whoever is responsible for the
code), along with the HTML validation results above.  Because,
according to the W3C:

"To work as intended, your CSS style sheet needs a correct document
parse tree. This means you should use valid HTML or well-formed XML."

(you will find this quote at the bottom of your validated-CSS page.)

<serenity prayer>
God grand me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the
courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the
difference.
</serenity prayer>

>This page is generated by a program coded by an employee of my hosting
>company. I get to edit only part of the page, the rest is done for me via a
>form, including the CSS part. So I removed everything that was between my
>header and my footer (let's reduce the problem) and was left with only the
>CSS and my code.
>Still no go in Netscape.
>However, removing the CSS code was magic.

Erika

erika at seastorm.com