[thelist] Click here

Chris Evans chris at fuseware.com
Wed Oct 25 19:33:21 CDT 2000

This goes into a bigger issue, but I don't think good UI/ interactive web
design should disable the core functionality of the web.  Underlines mean
links, which mean "click here". You never need a to tell a person to "turn
this knob" or "press this button".  It is a button or a knob, I know to turn
it or push it.  Same concept with underlined links.  It is underlined, I
click it.

There may be users who do not understand the fundamentals of how to use the
web.  There is certain (small) learning curve associated with learning to
use it.  No search engine uses "click here to visit this site", not even
AOL. We all learned at some point how to use push the buttons to dial a
phone, or turn the knob on the stove to heat my soup.  My stove and phone
don't have "push here to dial" or "turn this to heat" labels.

I should never need to *tell* a user what she needs to do - the design makes
it obvious. Navigation and images meant to be clickable should be obvious.
If not, then I suggest that means a poor design.  It may be pretty, but if
pretty is all I want, I'd read a magazine.

Chris Evans
chris at fuseware.com
http://www.fuseware.com

PS - I have a lot of respect for the head lemur - this is not meant to
reflect on his design or usability skills in any way :