[thelist] Double and Single Quotes are ruining my life....

Warden, Matt mwarden at odyssey-design.com
Thu Oct 26 16:15:06 CDT 2000

> However, when it comes time to display that data - the browser get's
> confused from the second double quote on...
>
> Does anyone know of a way to fix this?  I've looked in both of Forta's books
> and the book by Danesh and can find nary a mention of this problem.
>
> would " be a solution here?  if so...how could/would I use it?

Since you mentioned Forta, I guess you're using CF. I can't give you CF
syntax, but I can pass along the idea.

I'm not sure why your textarea is having problems. If it was a text field
where the value is an attribute,I could understand that. But, this should be
fine:

<textarea>I "sort of" hate double quotes</textarea>

However, if it really is an issue, try replacing all instances of " with
&quot;. Something like:

<textarea>#Replace(varFromDB, """, "&quot;")#</textarea>

where the stuff between the #'s is however you output in CF.

hth a little,

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com