[thelist] 404 pages?

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Sat Oct 28 17:34:51 CDT 2000

Lauri...

This is a way to pass a GET variable to a program without use the ?. Since you asked
about PHP, I'm assuming you are running apache too.

Here it goes:

First in your .htaccess file (for the target directory in question like products):

PHP3

<Location type>
	ForceType application/x-httpd-php3
</Location>

PHP4

<Location type>
	ForceType application/x-httpd-php
</Location>

Then create a PHP program called "type".

<?
	/* Do lots of l33t code here.

	Use the $PATH_INFO to capture the variable being pasted. */

	$ProductNumber = substr($PATH_INFO,1);

?>

Then you can call your type program like this:

	http://www.foo.com/products/type/productnumber

This will activate the PHP program called type, then type will interrogate the
PATH_INFO for the product number and spit out the proper page. Voila, one program -
search engines think its a URL.

(This was ripped out of a PHP manual from a tutorial that I went to taught by Rasmus
Lerdorf, 'the' PHP guy.)

Good Luck!!
--
Anthony Baratta