[thelist] Friday Freebie

rudy Rudy_Limeback at maritimelife.ca
Fri Nov 3 15:03:22 CST 2000

>  Select isnull(uid,0) ...
>
> the (MS SQL Server) isnull function allows you
> to specify a return value if the field is Null.
> Check your local db's documentation for it,
> I'm not sure if its standard sql or an MS add-on....

in db2 it's value()

in oracle it's nvl()

the standard sql function is called coalesce()

not sure whether this is sql-92, sql-3, or whatever -- you'd think i'd be
right up to date on what was what, but i'm not

as the above examples show, it is important to know *about* the function
and when to use it, and where to look it up for your database du jour

rudy
r937.com