[thelist] How to Fade the Edges of an Image

Ben Henick persist1_pdx at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 3 23:58:03 CST 2000

--- Donna Jones <donnajj at gwi.net> wrote:
> Hi Gregory, maybe I can help.  I've used PSP and am just learning
> Photoshop.  Just did what I think you want in Photoshop, so let me

Duplicated these steps in Photoshop, and after a number of approaches
all of the fills and filters I used left too much of a border at the
edge of the photograph I used for testing.  So I came up with the
following approach... I've provided the menu steps just-in-case.

1.  Select the entire area around the photo (which is presumably in its
own layer) with the magic wand.
2.  With the selection still available create a new layer and then Edit
-> Fill that layer with the background color of the image.
3.  Deselect.
4.  Apply Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur to achieve the desired

Hope it works for ya...

Ben Henick              |  "In the long run, men hit only
Web Author At-Large     |  what they aim at.  Therefore,
www.io.com/persist1/    |  though they should fail
persist1 at io.com         |  immediately, they had better aim
persist1_pdx at yahoo.com  |  high."  --Henry David Thoreau

Do You Yahoo!?
Thousands of Stores.  Millions of Products.  All in one Place.

More information about the thelist mailing list